Avoid Antifreeze Poisoning
Ethylene glycol has an appealing smell and sweet taste; unfortunately, it is also a deadly toxin that can kill in very small doses. Just a few tablespoonfuls of toxic antifreeze is enough to kill a medium-sized dog, for example. The result is that animals who happen upon even small spills of antifreeze often suffer an agonizing death. And it's not only domestic animals who fall prey; children are sometimes affected as well, as are countless wild animals.
The real tragedy is that antifreeze poisoning is entirely preventable. Today, there are several brands of antifreeze based on propylene glycol, which is much less toxic than ethylene glycol and has the advantage of being bitter-tasting as well. Some states have also mandated that a bittering agent be added to ethylene glycol antifreeze products to make them less attractive in flavor, and there have been several attempts to enact such legislation at the federal level as well. Until that happens, however, concerned animal lovers, parents and citizens must take their own measures to keep animals and children safe from this deadly poison.
I Did This!
Make a Difference
animal welfare helping children community development environmental protection health & safety poverty & homelessness